THE APOSTLES’ CREED
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate was crucified, died, and was buried, He descended to the dead. On the third day He rose again; He ascended into heaven, He is seated at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; and He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.
THE NICENE CREED
We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth,
and of all things, visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only-begotten Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God of true God,
begotten, not made,
being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made;
Who for us men, and for our salvation came down from heaven,
and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary,
and was made man,
For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate.
He suffered and was buried,
On the third day He rose again
according to the Scriptures,
He ascended into heaven,
and He sits at the right hand of the Father. And He shall come again with glory to judge both the living and the dead,
and His kingdom shall have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord and giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father (and the Son), Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified,
who spoke by the Prophets.
And we believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins.
We look for the Resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come.
COMMON BASIS OF FAITH – DIE EVANGELISCHE ALLIANZ IN DEUTSCHLAND-
- to the omnipotence and grace of God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in creation, revelation, redemption, final judgment, and fulfillment;
- to the divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures, their complete reliability and supreme authority in all questions of faith and conduction of life;
- to the complete sinfulness and guilt of fallen man, exposing him to God’s wrath and condemnation;
- to the vicarious sacrifice of the incarnate Son of God as the sole and all-sufficient basis for redemption from the guilt and power of sin and its consequences;
- to the justification of the sinner by the grace of God alone based on faith in Jesus Christ, who was crucified and rose from the dead;
- to the work of the Holy Spirit, which brings about conversion and rebirth of man, dwells in the believer and enables him to be sanctified;
- to the priesthood of all believers who make up the worldwide community, the body of which Christ is head and who is bound by His command to proclaim the gospel in all the world;
- to the expectation of the personal, visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ in power and glory; to the survival of the God-given personality of man; to the resurrection of the body for judgment and the eternal life of the redeemed in glory.
from September 2, 1864, revised in 1972
To the glory of God, we desire to see people in Freiburg and beyond reached with the gospel of Jesus to Christ, to see them become committed disciples of Jesus Christ who worship God, love their church, and serve their city.